I have always wondered how subscription boxes work. I’ve seen them on other bloggers and on YouTube for quite a while now. One day, I bit the bullet, and signed up for my very first beauty subscription box (or glam bag) with ipsy.
For the curious, here’s how ipsy Glam Bag works:
- Sign up for an ipsy account.
- Take the quiz in order for ipsy to know your profile. This includes what type of skin you have, your skin tone, and your personal beauty and style preferences.
- Fill out billing and shipping information. Subscription costs $10 (+ tax) a month. How can you resist such offer when you get five items + a makeup bag to go with everything? Best of all, ipsy offers free shipping! It is important to note that billing date starts on the first day of the month, but shipping depends on your location. I was lucky that I received mine only a week after I was billed for this month’s Glam Bag!
OK, now on to the real deal. My ipsy profile screams basic. I opted to stick with the ‘safe’ color options because I’m afraid that ipsy would send me items that I wouldn’t even personally use. For this month’s Glam Bag, I received the following:
1. Gold textured glam bag (4″x8″) — this month’s bag is perfect for fall! I’m not big on fancy makeup bags, but this one’s in between classy and simple, and I love it.
2. City Color Cosmetics: City Chic Lipstick in Je t’aime — I have used this lipstick three times on different occasions. It’s buttery with a light sheen on it, but the shade’s isn’t too striking. I think it’s suitable for work and/or everyday wear.
PROMO: 50% OFF all City Chic Lipsticks. Use code: IPSY50CC.
3. NYX Cosmetics: ipsy Eye Shadow Trio — The palette includes metallic shades, but are acceptable to use during the day. I used this last weekend when we went to Anaheim, and while the pigmentation isn’t as buttery as other high-end eyeshadow palettes, they held up pretty fine on a hot and humid day.
PROMO: 50% OFF Eye Shadow Primer and Base. Use code: NYXBASESCVRD.
4. Elizabeth Mott: Queen of the Fill Tinted Brow Gel in Medium Dark — I was excited for this one because I’ve been meaning to get a replacement for a similar product from Etude House; however, I received a dark shade that looks off with current hair color. Perhaps when I go back to my roots this particular shade will work.
PROMO: 30% OFF any purchase. Use code: IPSYQUEEN.
5. First Aid Beauty: Ultra Repair® Cream — Of all things I received from this month’s Glam Bag, this is what I’m most excited about. As the weather changes in the coming weeks, I know I’ll be needing something to relieve my dry skin. I hope this lives up to my expectations for when the temperature drops here in San Diego!
PROMO: 20% OFF any purchase. Use code: IPSY20.
6. Octavio Molina Hair: Aceite de Argan — I have been using Argan Oil on both my skin and hair for quite a while now, but I’ve never heard of this particular brand. I currently use a similar product by OGX, which is thicker in consistency than the one I received from ipsy. I used this for three consecutive days on damp hair after I shower, and though it made my hair feel softer to touch, it made my scalp feel oily, too. I also broke out in my forehead area; something that I found strange since this was the only thing that changed in my daily routine (sans makeup). It might also be because of hormonal changes, but I won’t discontinue using it just yet.
PROMO: 30% OFF any purchase. Use code: Ipsy&Octavio.