Has anyone else noticed how a lot of people got engaged during the holidays? I know I did! In fact, a few of my
My husband and I were talking about this the other day when I told him about our friends’ weddings that we might miss this year, and ended up looking back on how our own turned out. We had a traditional albeit splendid destination wedding away from the city. While we would not change a thing from the wedding itself, we could have gone all-out with our honeymoon destination. It’s free to dream!
We were not able to celebrate our wedding anniversary last year, but making up for the lost times is on top of our to-do’s this year. When we were planning for our honeymoon, we wanted to go somewhere we both have never been to. Have you heard of Tenerife in Spain? It is the largest among seven islands that make up the Canary chain. It is conveniently located east of USA, just across the North Atlantic Ocean.
Based on my research, it is best to go there between the months of June and August where the island gets at least 11 hours of sun a day. If you think that it could get boring in the island for days, then think again. First Choice* offers great packages for honeymooners, lovebirds, and families alike. There are a plethora of places to see and things to do for the duration of your stay. Let me name a few:
License: (CC BY-ND 2.0)
For the Nature Lovers
- A climb to the Teide National Park will give you a glimpse of Mount Tiede, the highest active volcano in Spain. It is one of the famous destinations in Tenerife.
- If you are into hiking and trekking, then Los Gigantes and Masca Valley are your go-to place. Beware—the cliffs of Los Gigantes may just take your breath away.
License: (CC BY-ND 2.0)
For the Beach and Surfing Enthusiasts
- If you’re like me who can basically live by the shore for the rest of my life, then be amazed by the endless waters of Playa de las Americas and Playa Paraiso. I dare you never to leave the island for good!
- Be sure to check out other famour watersports such as parasailing, diving and snorkeling just to name a few.
License: (CC BY 2.0)
For the Aficionados of Arts and Culture
- A tour around the Basílica de Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria is a must. It is dedicated to the patron saint of Canary Islands, Our Lady the Virgin of Candeleria, and is one of the major Marian shrines all-over Spain.
- If modern art and design amuse you, then Tenerife Espacio de las Artes (TEA) is the best place to go. You know what’s more fun? They also allow visitors to take part in workshops and tours.
While you’re there, be sure to check out the typical food of the Canaries such as grilled meat and fish paired with papas arrugadas, which are often referred to as Canarian wrinkled potatoes. If you’re in for some more adventures, then don’t miss out on the abundance of great seafood dishes.
If you’re looking for some place different to discover, then the island of Tenerife is your guy. Thanks to First Choice for the inspiration of this post. Now, I want to go on another honeymoon-slash-post-wedding-anniversary-getaway in Spain with my husband!